No Place Like…

If you’re reading this blog, chances are you care deeply about your domestic arrangements and the place you call home. And unless I’m much mistaken, you occasionally find yourself wishing for something more stylish, more spacious, more impressive, or simply more “you”.

So here’s just a quick reminder that home can come in all shapes and sizes, glamorous or humble, but as long as it provides us with comfort and shelter, we are blessed.

Jay Shafer has spent 13 years living in houses smaller than 100 square feet and has built a company showing other people how to do the same thing:

If you’re an octopus, a discarded coconut shell from the bed of the ocean looks like a good bet for a home, much to the glee of scientists who happened to be present when the stealthy grab occurred:

Alternatively, you could make your nest in a flying saucer:

Or you could defy gravity (eek!):

And don’t overlook the snug feeling from making your home in a cave:

Finally, there’s something so warm and comforting in this creation of home comforts by Not Martha:

So tell me, do any of these appeal to the adventurer in you, or do you suddenly feel more content with the place you currently hang your hat?

Pauline tagged this post with: , Read 381 articles by Pauline

15 Responses to No Place Like…

1. Janell @ Isabella and Max says:

If a couple of these abodes were real you'd never ever find me stepping foot in them. A bit afraid of heights! I'm quite happy with my home, set on solid ground.

2. Tricia Rose says:

I so like the tiny houses – I can imagine being a funny old woman, in a wood, with a cat…

3. claudia b says:

I wouldn't mind living in a houseboat for a while. Or moving to a super rural place. With internet, of course ;D

4. Mary Ann says:

lovely images! have a great week! verbena cottage

5. Bromeliad says:

100 square feet? Makes my place sound like a castle.

6. Yellow House Knits says:

I think there's something so appealing about living in a little, tiny house, where everything has a place. And then I remember how I struggle to fit everything in to my 1400 square foot town house and complain about the lack of space. Sometimes romance and reality just don't mix.

7. Kari says:

You know, the tiny house movement really does appeal to me. I don't know that I would ever live in a Tumbleweed-sized house, but I could certainly see myself in a 1 or 2 bedroom home (depending on whether I have kids, ever.) Moving, and particularly seeing the immense process of moving stuff out of my grandparents' old house after 45 years, has made me realize that right now I have a manageable amount of "stuff", but still need to downsize. The bigger the house you have, the more room you have to accumulate and hide "stuff" that later someone will need to sort through.
    (Let's see whether I stick to this mantra down the line!)

8. Maria Killam says:

Wow those were fascinating to see! Very cool, especially the one that looks like it's on stilts!

9. Style Attic says:

This was absolutely adorable and a stylish twist! I love your writing with the pictures. The cliff house reminded me of the movie UP :)

10. Shelley says:

As a child I fantasized about living in a tree house…or a sewer! In OKC the rainwater drains are big concrete tubes about 4 feet high. I spent a lot of time daydreaming about how I would meet my needs creatively – no adults allowed. Sadly (!!) I've only ever lived in ordinary houses, though all of the adventures you shared look tempting. I have my Grandmother's living and dining room furniture, which I love to bits, but it is large and cumbersome…a burden that prevents adventures. However, I'm grateful to have a home…not made from cardboard, corrigated tin or plywood. It's important to remember how wealthy we really are.

11. Alea says:

We actually saw some very odd houses when we were house hunting in Nevada, including an off-the-grid castle with a bomb shelter. We eventually decided that renting until we could escape was the best plan for our family.

12. SabinePsynopsis says:

Love them all! But, come on, #5 is not true, is it? (stupid question?) and #4 wouldn't be for someone who is terrified of heights (= me). xoxo

13. Gwen says:

I just toured Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin house in Arizona. I could live there. It is a wee bit dated and weird, but so cool!

14. Vix says:

Fun post!

Have been a fan of the Tumbleweed homes for a while, but actually have more love for the tiny Texas houses built almost entirely from salvage parts. Just a little more personality IMO…I think you'd get a kick out of them.

And while I could live in a tiny house, it would have to be ALONE, ha.

15. littlebeachbum says:

I've seen that picture before of the Asian-inspired palace on top of the rock in the middle of the water – where IS that? is it real? I want to go there!

Also, have you seen this? I just read this article a few days ago but this post kind of reminds me of it!