Organizing with Chocolate

Since this is the time of year when many of us are buying chocolates, why not choose some which come in a reusable box?  You, or your gift recipient, can enjoy the cocoa luxuries and then feel virtuous about using the packaging to sort out a few odds and ends.

A couple of years ago, I attended an event sponsored by San Francisco artisan Charles Chocolates, and was as delighted with the leftover packaging as I was with the chocolates themselves.  My make-up now lives happily in these sturdy turquoise boxes, which I’m using as drawer dividers:

Charles Chocolates

Charles Chocolates

As a rule, I don’t tend to buy circular or oval storage containers, as they don’t play nicely with other shapes.  But this hat box might make an attractive feature for a desk or shelf:

Julia Baker

Julia Baker

Coco-Zen has an innovative offering of 20 Fair Trade Truffles in a reusable Indian Tiffin, which would be great for craft or office supplies in addition to the obvious purpose of carrying your lunch:

Coco-Zen

Coco-Zen

Or, opt for this beautiful silk box containing 20 pieces of designer chocolate from Jin Patisserie:

Jin Patisserie

Jin Patisserie

Wooden cigar boxes are hot property amongst collectors for being both practical and attractive.  You can get a similar look from a box containing adorable chocolate penguins, instead.  And mice are available, too!

L.A. Burdick

L.A. Burdick

But if all these options are a little outside your budget, don’t forget the Ferrero Rocher brand which is widely available.  Their boxes are plastic, but they’re a great shape and if you enjoy this type of chocolate, you can gradually collect yourself a whole mass of useful, see-through containers.

Ferrero Rocher

Ferrero Rocher

Have I convinced you that chocolate plays an important part in getting organized?

If you’re in the SF Bay Area and would like friendly, confidential Professional Organizing help to turn chaos into calm, contact me to take the first step toward a sorted, stylish space.

14 Responses to Organizing with Chocolate

1. Claudia says:

like I need more reasons to buy chocolate! love it!

2. Shelley says:

I did look at using the chocolate boxes left after Christmas to put jewellery in – like earrings and brooches, but I needed more space than that. If I had a smaller collection, I would certain use ordinary chocolate boxes in that way. Love the penguins though!

3. Bromeliad says:

Brilliant! I used Ferraro Rocher boxes to organize my jewelry. (Low budget lucite.)

4. Tricia Rose says:

I think I need a trip to Charles Chocolates! so I can organise… no other motive, oh no…

5. Dana says:

You had me at “Organizing with Chocolate.” The penguins are adorable, but I won’t be happy till I have a box of candy from Jin Patisserie.

6. Sniff says:

These boxes are so neat. And those penguins are adorable – I’d love to get those as a gift. Would probably feel bad eating those little cuties, though.

7. Stitchfork says:

LOL – love the way you think!
    xo Cathy

8. AlexisAnne says:

What a cute post for this time of year! I would love to see some pictures of some of those chocolate boxes in action!

9. What a BRILLIANT idea! I love this idea with chocolate boxes, but really with any gifts that come in sturdy packaging. Genius.

10. Chocolate + organizing + re-purposed packaging = true love! I agree about round and oval boxes not mixing well, and hearts are even worse, unless it’s possible to arrange four of them into a square, points facing the center.

11. Sarah (Semi Expat) says:

My new box from Fauchon will be perfect for storage I think!! X

12. Great idea!Educate yourself about what’s recyclable in your area and take full advantage of curbside and town recycling. Bottles, cans, plastic milk containers, paper-including newspaper, magazines and junk mail all belong in the recycling bin, not the trash.

From my observations, many people don’t realize that cardboard boxes, pizza boxes, egg cartons, and even cereal boxes can also be recycled. You may have to take some items to designated recycling bins at a local dump or public works department.

13. I love this. What a way to combine two of my favourite passions! Thank you for posting.

Free Monthly Newsletter